Based on the recommendation of the Chief Medical Officer of Health and in alignment with the National Advisory Committee on Immunization’s (NACI) recent recommendation, health care partners in Muskoka have begun offering booster doses of the COVID-19 vaccine to the following vulnerable populations and health care workers if at least 168 days (approximately six months) have passed since their last dose.
Who is eligible
The following groups are now eligible for a third COVID vaccine if you are 168 days from your second vaccine:
- Individuals aged 70 and over (born in 1951 or earlier);
- Health care workers and designated essential caregivers in congregate settings (including long-term care home and retirement home staff and designated caregivers);
- Individuals who received two doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine or one dose of the Janssen vaccine; and
- First Nation, Inuit and Métis adults and their non-Indigenous household members who are 16 years of age or older.
This is in addition to these prior groups eligible at 56 days from your second vaccine:
- Transplant recipients;
- Those with solid tumours or hematological cancers on active treatment;
- Those who are severe primary immunodeficiency or advanced untreated HIV;
- Recipients of specific immunocompromising medications; and
- Residents of long-term care homes, retirement homes and First Nation elder care lodges, and seniors living in other congregate settings.
How to book
Eligible individuals are able to book their booster dose appointment through the COVID-19 vaccination portal. Please go to the Ontario Provincial Booking Site when you are eligible. You cannot pre-book before you are eligible. Ontario Health recommends that your third dose be the same as your second unless you received Astra Zeneca twice. If you have had Astra Zeneca, you can receive either Pfizer or Moderna.
WHERE: Active Living Centre (Canada Summit Centre, 20 Park Drive, Huntsville)
WHEN: Monday, Wednesday, Friday afternoons 1-4 pm
Gravenhurst clinics (two locations)
WHERE: Terry Fox Auditorium (101 Centennial Dr. Gravenhurst)
WHEN: Tuesday and Wednesday 9-1pm
WHERE: 5 Pineridge Gate, Unit #1
WHEN: Evenings Monday to Friday
Appointments will be added regularly so please check back if there is no availability; times and locations may change in response to community need.
Please note that some primary care providers will be providing vaccinations in their own offices.
If you have questions about your eligibility, please contact the Provincial Vaccine Contact Centre at 1-833-943-3900 (TTY for people who are deaf, hearing-impaired or speech-impaired: 1-866-797-0007), which is open seven days a week from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and capable of providing assistance in more than 300 languages.
More information is available at simcoemuskokahealth.org/Topics/COVID- 19/Vaccine-and-Immunization.
Don’t miss out on Doppler!
Sign up here to receive our email digest with links to our most recent stories.
Local news in your inbox three times per week!