Each month South Muskoka Doppler highlights a student in the co-op programs at both Bracebridge and Muskoka Lakes Secondary School (BMLSS) and Gravenhurst High School (GHS).
This month’s student of the month for GHS, brought to you by Stevenson Plumbing-Electrical-HVAC is Evan Steele.
What is your placement and why did you choose it?
- Evan Steele is on a half day co-op placement at Devine Property Care working as a landscaper.
- He says “Honestly, I just find everyone to be really welcoming. It’s been like that the whole time I’ve worked with them. I’m happy there and I couldn’t have asked for a better place to be because we all help each other as best as we can and work as a team”.
- This is his second half-day placement with the company, in addition to working for Devine on weekends and over the summer.
- His role with the company is a mix between lawn care technician and hardscape installer depending on the job the company is working at the time.
Do you know which career path you’d like to pursue in the future?
- When he started he didn’t know anything about landscaping and only knew what his grandfather had shown him about masonry and hardscape, but hadn’t done it himself. Now that he’s working as a landscaper, he says he is hooked and plans to do this for the rest of his life – ideally sticking with Devine Property Care.
- He says that he enjoys every part of the job because different tasks challenge different parts of his brain and he has to figure out what to do next.
- He likes that one day might be installing interlock and another day is grass-cutting unique patterns into a lawn. Either way he gets to see the work move from start to finish and be proud of the art you create along the way. Seeing the transformation from before to after is what makes the challenge of the work really rewarding.
Don’t miss out on Doppler!
Sign up here to receive our email digest with links to our most recent stories.
Local news in your inbox three times per week!