Photo courtesy of Brent Fitzmaurice
An undated photo looking northward up Manitoba Street in Bracebridge.
From the Canadian Encyclopedia:
The first inhabitants were an advance party working on the Muskoka Road. In 1864 North Falls, as it was called, was renamed by W.D. Lesueur, the secretary of the PO, likely from Bracebridge Hall, the novel by Washington Irving that also gave its name to Gravenhurst.