Note: As of March 14, 2022, the health unit will provide updated data only on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
Click here to see other COVID-19 news, community stories, and commentary.
Last updated April 6, 2022
Percent positivity rate (for the week of Mar. 27)
The percentage of completed COVID-19 tests that are positive for the COVID-19 virus during the specified period.
Muskoka: 11.2 per cent
Simcoe County: 16.8 per cent
Ontario: 17.6 per cent
Active hospitalizations in Simcoe Muskoka:
- 20, including three in ICU, as of Apr. 5
- A weekly snapshot as of Mar. 23. Of the 20 active hospitalizations on that date:
- Two are in Muskoka, 18 in Simcoe
- 70 per cent are over 65 years old
- Two are associated with institutional outbreaks
- 90 per cent are sporadic cases in the community
- Six (30 per cent) are unvaccinated, two (10 per cent) have had a single dose of vaccine, four (20 per cent) have had two doses of vaccine, and eight (40 per cent) have had three doses of vaccine
COVID-19 deaths in Simcoe Muskoka
For the two-week period ending March 23, there were 16 deaths in Simcoe Muskoka:
- Muskoka: one
- Simcoe County: 15
- Gender: 10 male, six female
- Vaccination status: two unvaccinated, one with one dose, five with two doses, and eight with three doses
- Four were associated with institutional outbreaks
There have been 441 COVID-19 deaths to date in Simcoe Muskoka.
Hospitalizations and deaths by immunization status for Simcoe Muskoka
*Includes data from the July 18, 2021 onward. Average weekly rates are shown.
For this period, the rate of COVID-19 hospitalizations among the unvaccinated population aged 12 and older is four times higher, the rate of ICU admissions is seven times higher, and the rate of deaths is three times higher compared with those with two or more doses of vaccine.
Number of COVID-19 hospitalizations (age 12+) as of April 6*:
- Fully vaccinated: 271
- Partially vaccinated: 24
- Unvaccinated or vaccinated with one dose less than 14 days: 220
COVID-19 hospitalization rate per 100,000 population (all ages) as of April 6*:
- Fully vaccinated: 1.72
- Partially vaccinated: 1.90
- Unvaccinated or vaccinated with one dose less than 14 days: 6.95
Number of COVID-19 ICU admissions (age 12+) as of April 6*:
- Fully vaccinated: 42
- Partially vaccinated: <5
- Unvaccinated or vaccinated with one dose less than 14 days: 59
COVID-19 ICU admission rate per 100,000 population (age 12+) as of April 6*:
- Fully vaccinated: 0.27
- Partially vaccinated: NR
- Unvaccinated or vaccinated with one dose less than 14 days: 1.86
Number of COVID-19 deaths (age 12+) as of April 6:*
- Fully vaccinated: 114
- Partially vaccinated: 5
- Unvaccinated or vaccinated with one dose less than 14 days: 65
COVID-19 death rate per 100,000 population (age 12+) as of April 6*:
- Fully vaccinated: 0.72
- Partially vaccinated: 0.40
- Unvaccinated or vaccinated with one dose less than 14 days: 2.05
Muskoka residents age 12 and older*
- First dose: 52,291 (85.2 per cent)
- Second dose: 51,035 (83.2 per cent)
*SMDHU does not currently include 5 to 11 year-olds in its overall counts for the region. To date, 48 per cent of this age group in Muskoka have received a first dose, and 32 per cent have received a second dose.
Simcoe Muskoka residents age 5 and older
- First dose: 497,731 (84.9 per cent)
- Second dose: 479,199 (81.7 per cent)
- Third dose: 286,466 (48.9 per cent)
Active long-term care/hospital outbreaks in Muskoka:
Huntsville Hospital East Wing, declared March 29, 2022
For more information:
- Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit COVID-19 information and statistics: simcoemuskokahealth.org/Topics/COVID-19
- How to book a COVID-19 vaccine: simcoemuskokahealth.org/Topics/COVID-19/Vaccine-and-Immunization
- Where and when to get tested: covid-19.ontario.ca/covid-19-test-and-testing-location-information
Don’t miss out on Doppler!
Sign up here to receive our email digest with links to our most recent stories.
Local news in your inbox three times per week!