This photo was posted in Vintage Muskoka by Barry Brock.
It depicts a fire at the original Gravenhurst Train Station on May 14, 1912.
The website https://ontariorailwaystations.wordpress.com/
- Construction Date: The building was constructed in 1875 by the Northern Railway of Canada, and remodelled in 1898 by the Grand Trunk Railway. Next to the station was a restaurant (referred to as a refreshment room), along with baggage and freight facilities
- Architect/Builder: Unknown
- Exterior Architecture Details: The station was a two storey frame structure with a gable roof broken across the front by a series of steep gable dormers. An overhang extended along the front of the station for passenger protection
- Interior Architectural Details: The ground floor contained passenger waiting rooms, a ticket/operator office, and possibly an express/baggage room. The upper floor contained either divisional railway offices or accommodation for railway personal.
- Landscaping & Ground Details: Timber platform
- Building Costs: Unknown
- Destruction Date: The building was damaged by fire in May 1913. Accordingly, it was determined that a location closer to the centre of the community and more convenient for travellers would be chosen for a replacement structure