This colour slide was posted in Vintage Muskoka by Mike Morden.
Originally located just east of Bracebridge on Frasbergurg Road, St. Peter’s was once a hub of the community in Roxborough. Several dozen people packed into the church for its opening service on October 17, 1933.
The roots of St. Peter’s Church are intertwined with those of the families who have called Roxborough home for generations.
The decision was ultimately made by the diocese in 2017 that the church would be deconsecrated and closed. In 2018 when the future of the modest log church seemed in jeopardy, a group of like-minded residents stepped forward to literally pick the church up and move it to a new home at the Bracebridge Fairgrounds.
Assisted by Muskoka Pioneer Power, on June 8, 2019, the small church was hoisted from its granite perch in Roxborough and transported over the course of roughly an hour and a half to its new home at the JD Lang Park on the site of Muskoka Pioneer Power Association. where it sits today.
Don’t miss out on Doppler!
Sign up here to receive our email digest with links to our most recent stories.
Local news in your inbox three times per week!