This photo was posted by Mike Morden in Vintage Muskoka.
Gerry Patrick Dunn purchased the property in 1929 when there was only a small ice cream parlour and drugstore on the lot. Dunn started renovating the buildings in the second year of ownership in order to be able to host orchestras as an attraction in the small town. The first two bands to play in the renovated building were Jerry Richardson and the Varsity Collegians, and Carl Mueller’s Varsity Entertainers.
In 1963, at the age of 62, Gerry Dunn sold Dunn’s Pavilion to Ray Cockburn. Ray had owned a similar venue in Orillia called ‘The Pavalon’ and wanted to expand his ownership in the bar business. In order to take advantage of the new rock and roll style of music, Ray renamed the venue and called it The KEE to Bala.
Don’t miss out on Doppler!
Sign up here to receive our email digest with links to our most recent stories.
Local news in your inbox three times per week!