From the Gravenhurst High School website:
1896 First Gravenhurst High School building was constructed. It cost $4,150 and consisted of 3 classrooms, 1 laboratory, 1 storeroom and a combined office-library. Dr. W.H. Muldrew was the first Principal and being an expert of native trees and shrubs, designed the landscaping. He published his book, Sylvan Ontario, A guide to our Native trees and shrubs in 1901.
1950 The Gravenhurst High School building becomes Gravenhurst Public School. Over its 54 years 2,500 students attended. School population ranged from about 40 in the early years to about 170.
1951 The Ministry of Education opened the new 2 storey brick building on the present site. The school now had 7 classrooms, a library, commercial rooms, a science lab, a gym, home economics facility, shops and a cafeteria. There was a staff of 8. The cost to build was $295,000. The capacity of the school was 250-300 with the enrollment of the time at 189. Several days after the opening the old school building burned down.
1959 The “new” school was expanded to accommodate increased enrollment.
1973 Gravenhurst High School was enlarged once more.
Don’t miss out on Doppler!
Sign up here to receive our email digest with links to our most recent stories.
Local news in your inbox three times per week!